The more pine nuts you use, the more flavourful your fish balls will be. Add more than the requested amount if you can, but either way make sure you try these marvellous fish balls, healthy and quickly made. A wonderful side dish would be a potato salad with a light pesto dressing.
Makes around 20 fish balls
- 450 gr fresh sardines, net weight after cleaning (or mackerel or anchovies)
- 40 gr stale bread or white breadcrumbs + more breadcrumbs for coating
- 60 gr pecorino cheese, grated
- 10 gr parsley leaves, chopped
- 25 gr raisins
- 2 tbsp (or more) pine nuts, toasted
- 1 free range egg
- a pinch of nutmeg
- extravirgin olive oil
- 3/4 tbsp milk, if needed
Clean your fish (skin on), place in a food processor and whizz well. Now place the fish mixture in a bowl and manually add the rest of the ingredients. If necessary pour in a little bit of milk. Form your fish balls, roll into the breadcrumbs, spray or brush thoroughly with olive oil and bake in the oven 180° for 20-25 minutes until golden and crispy. After 15 minutes, turn the fish balls over so they cook evenly.